I am humbled each and every week by the talent and generosity that all of you display. From incredible personal projects to the volume of donations, you are all incredible quilters and more importantly you all 'walk the talk' of giving back to the community both within the guild community and within the greater community that we live in.
As of this date the OVQG has contributed a total of 545 donation items. These items include 424 quilts, 37 Christmas stockings, 62 placemats and table runners, and 22 pet beds. The recipients include the Central Okanagan Hospice Association, Baptist Housing, the Food Bank, Kids Count, Kelowna General Hospital Neonatal Intensive Care Unit and the SPCA.
I am also humbled by the worker bees in the guild who are integral to keeping us up and running! They include but are not limited to:
- Bev who is up early and opens the door for us and works to keep the HANDfuls group interesting and entertaining.
- Marie A who has been the historian for 35 years. She takes pictures of Show and Tell each week and brings back the photos so that you all have a record of your accomplishments.
- Pat who has kept the money safe and sound -- and she sure was hopping at the Quilt Show!
- Marie W who makes sure we all have coffee and goodies each week.
- Mary who does the AMAZING job of creating and updating our website each and every week. Our website is a 'worldwide window' into our guild, attracts new members and keeps us all informed with current information. Mary also arranges incredible Professional Development workshops and co-leads our smARTies group.
- Brenda E who is the main driver behind our donations group and can take credit for keeping us producing and keeping us informed -- and she couldn't do it without her co-conspirators Barb and Dorothy and Joanne!
- Kathryn who has made this year exciting by putting together a very comprehensive program schedule with terrific tutorials and DEMO Days.
- Marg and Sue C who started off the year with an incredibly successful quilt show!
- Joanne G who is an inspirational and creative Publicity Chair and can take a great deal of credit for helping with the the success of our quilt show.
- Marian who is my Yoda and a heck of a bookkeeper.
- Dianne who tried to retire but came back into the fold to lead us, along with Sharon, through the 'fog' to transition to the new Society Act
- Dorothy who is the energizer bunny, leading our Outreach team in the high schools, working with Brenda in donations and helping out in a myriad of other jobs.
- Sharon who is our vice-president and my rock! You rock! We are all looking forward to the 2019 Gathering of the Guilds Okanagan Valley. Your leadership in this as well as the transition to the new Society's Act is appreciated
- Helen who is the extraordinary woman keeping our library organized, relevant and current as well as being a solid member of our directors group
- Sandy and Judy who have kept our membership rolls up to date. They greet us each week with a new and lovely greeting at the membership table, and their smiles and enthusiasm put a smile on our faces as we walk in the door.
- Laurie who leads our team for Show and Tell -- everybody's favourite activity of the week!
- Joanne T who has been quietly helping out in so many ways that it is difficult to tally it all: HANDfuls and the gift baskets and outreach and donations...
- Joan who has been helping the MODley crew discover and enjoy Modern Quilting.
All other guild members work hard by creating those hundreds of donation items, participating by sharing their skills and expertise in tutorials and demo days and jumping in where needed. This is what makes the OVQG work: generosity of time, talent and work!
This is what I have learned. ☺
Shirley Sellers, President
Orchard Valley Quilters Guild